Sunday, August 23, 2009

Time

I don't like time. I tend to rebel against it. Clocks stress me out. If I had my way we wouldn't have a clock anywhere in the house, and alarms would be banned. People would just come and go as they please and somehow the world would be a better place for it....or at least a more relaxed one. Albeit, I have been disciplined by my parents, teachers and yet again, by many a boss for showing up late for dinner, class or work....but....I was in a better mood when I got there.

Last night, I finally fell asleep at 5:30 in the morning because I was up chatting with a friend on my IIH site, and, yes...creating this...my very first blog. I knew that this wasn't a good thing because I have a chronic illness....I need my sleep, and no doubt, I'll sleep until at least 12:30. My children and husband will be up way before that. And yet...I continue to rebel. I will not be a puppet to the clock! Why is that??? What is in my nature that makes me so angry about time constraints?

I recall living with my high school sweetheart in college. He had early classes and would always set his alarm for 6 a.m. every morning. Without fail, unconciously, in my sleep....each night I would turn his alarm off....and, without fail...each morning he would miss class. No need to tell you how that relationship ended.

Maybe this all stems back to an earlier more dysfunctional time. My mother would always stress about getting places on time. We always had to look perfect and she would rant and rave about the time. Fights would break out and objects would fly. Getting places on time was a rather tumultuous process. If you knew my mother today, you would see that it still is.

And, so it goes....

This is a work in progress. I realize that in order for an alien like me to fit into a world where clocks and meetings and "times" are necessary, I will have to conform. Without time, we would all live in a fit of chaos. This is why I labeled my blog as such...(using the "K" from my first name to be cute). It was my nickname in high school.

I am currently feeling a little stressed because I realize that my carefree timeless days of summer are about to come to an end. My girls are about to start school again. Alarm clocks will be ringing, buses will show up....on time....

.....I wonder how many times I'll be driving them into school this year????

2 comments:

  1. I love your writing style!

    When I was a sophomore in High School, I would go to sleep as soon as I got home, and get up at 2am. I was the only one awake for first period. If I didn't have kids, I'd probably still be doing that!

    (oh, and I decided to follow you with both of my blogs... maybe creepy, maybe self-promoting my business to any of your friends who are almost close to Indiana...lol)

    ~Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Promote Away! I think your work is awesome! God knows if I lived closer I would hire you for birthday parties, school events, dance events, etc. You rock! Thanks for the ego boost!

    ReplyDelete